vendredi 17 avril 2009

Congratulations, Social Media.

This night I was not able to sleep at 3 a.m., so I watched some people discussing on the CNN’s website about social media and the democrats' success on these elections. They said it was a success for social media as well, because the campaign of Barack Obama was based on them.
Taking my coffee few hours later, I was thinking about that.
I remember the time a mass of people were warning us about the danger of Internet for the society.
Do you remember the book of Philippe Breton, “ Le culte de l’Internet, une menace du lien social ” ? ;o)))) He was complaining that in the future people would probably do their chopping by Internet and would not queue anymore and will not speak to the cashier girl in the Mall! I was thinking at the time, M. Breton w a really lonely person!
But, as it was dreamed by the pioneers of Internet, the web could autoregulate. As were dreaming the ‘fathers’ of the Net, in that time when it was not possible to bay anything on Internet, The Net is becoming a global organization that straitens the link between people. Internet was able to adapt in a way to make people nearer, what was missing ‘till now, was an Idea behind that.
I was asking myself how this happened. Obama itself (;o)) send me an e-mail with subject ‘How this happened’ this morning.

DANIELA --
I'm about to head to Grant Park to talk to everyone gathered there, but I wanted to write to you first.
We just made history.
And I don't want you to forget how we did it.
You made history every single day during this campaign -- every day you knocked on doors, made a donation, or talked to your family, friends, and neighbors about why you believe it's time for change.
I want to thank all of you who gave your time, talent, and passion to this campaign.
We have a lot of work to do to get our country back on track, and I'll be in touch soon about what comes next.
But I want to be very clear about one thing...
All of this happened because of you.
Thank you,
Barack

When a politician says on the TV or in a meeting, even the biggest, or the most popular TV program, ‘Thank you, All of this happened because of you’, I will not ‘hear’ it in the same way.
When a person like Obama (with tones of charm!:o)) sends a personal (ok, it is not personal, but the tone is very human) e-mail to you, saying that he wanted to speak to you first, I fill implicated.
I am not American and I haven’t voted yesterday. I jointed the Barack’s community because of my professional interest on social media. But this morning I felt very special. And I just wanted to say: Congratulations, Social Media. It is just beginning….


Fiche de lecture sur “ Le culte de l’Internet, une menace du lien social ”
de Philippe Breton par Danéla Dalbokova, licence INFOCOM, Université Paris 8.